Sunday 4 January 2015

What a long, hot weekend. It was so hot Saturday and I was so tired that this post has become hellooo Sunday.

I knew we were heading for 41 c on Saturday so I had planned ahead for the man to cook a barbie for dinner.  Yay me,  cool kitchen.  Friday night became my let's make dessert night and because it was 35c or something close to that, I made ice cream, again.  I love this basic recipe of cream and condensed milk.
This time, because I have lots of strawberries and some very ripe bananas, I'm making chunky strawberry and banana. Just have to figure out how I'm going to do it.  If I can make a strawberry cream cake with strawberry essence and pink food colouring, why not ice cream?  Ok, beat the cream and condensed milk, add in 2 tablespoons of strawberry essence, quick taste, another tablespoon of strawberry essence, some pink food colouring and 2 chopped punnets of strawberries, into the freezer and hope for the best. Now for the banana, while I was fossicking through my cupboard, I found some nestles banana quik, sounds good so beat more cream and condensed milk, mash 4 bananas add 3 tablespoons quik beat some more and in to the freezer with this too.  Have to wait till Saturday night to find out whether it works.

So Saturday comes, the air conditioners roaring, it never got below 30c during the night so the house was hot from the get go. I don't have the kids, but number five, miss Tash and the chunky one arrive really early because they have no air conditioning, so we all sit around staying cool for a while and then being the idiots we are, we decide to go shopping. Thank goodness for air conditioned cars and shopping centres. So we filled in a couple of hours, even though I only needed bread, and came home.  After sitting around for a while longer, I decide I need to make a cheese cake, just in case the ice cream doesn't work. But because I start late, I don't know whether it will set, so I'm going to start with the recipe for my lemon lime cheese cake, take out the lime, add in lemon zest and to help it a long, add in some gelatin. So this recipe is cream cheese, condensed milk, whipped cream , grated zest of 2 lemons and 1/3 cup lemon juice. Add in 1 teaspoon gelatin mixed with 2 tablespoons hot water and tip into a biscuit crumb base.  Fingers crossed that it sets.

I sit down with a cuppa and watch a cool change blow in, wind and rain and a 10c drop in temperature. At least the man now won't cook while he's cooking tea.
We eat, have a couple of drinks and I wander into my still cool kitchen to fix dessert.  I decided on banana splits. I reckon banana with strawberry and banana ice cream and flavoured topping sounds good. I get the ice cream out of the freezer, have a taste...Yummo.  Proud to serve it



Unfortunately the cheesecake didn't set in time, which was a good thing because we couldn't have fit it in anyway.

But we did manage to try it tonight. I put some lemon curd over the top of it and served it with cream. Because it had lemon zest, juice and curd, I call it triple lemon cheesecake.  Its just the right amount of tang. Delicious.



So that's my week, come and gone.  Next week it's my parents 60th wedding anniversary and I get to cook for that. So until then......

No comments:

Post a Comment