Saturday 26 July 2014

Another Saturday night, another birthday party.  This time it's miss Mia's  6th birthday.



It's been a loooooong day of cooking, but only had to do cakes cos the party was at my son's house, so he cooked  barbeque sausages and rissoles, roast pork, potatoes in foil and salads.  Doesn't food always taste extra good  when you don't have to cook it yourself.

I had a nice quiet  morning of cooking  because the boys had another party to go to.  No kids, no stress. Still the mess though,  dammit.

All the food today was by request, so its all things I have made before. I started off by making choc orange whoopie pies followed by spiced sponge cakes.

While they were cooling I actually cleaned up my mess and had a quick coffee.

Back to the kitchen to make the vanilla cupcakes for the fairy dress cake.  Because I had 2 ovens going I also pressed some biscuits for the caramel meringue tarts  that I would finish later.

Cupcakes are cooked so while they are cooling I made the ganache for the whoopie pies and the sponges. Also did the orange filling for the whoopie pies.

 The kitchen is going a bit downhill now,  sinks full of dirty bowls and cooking trays, benches are covered in cakes and ingredients but luckily I just have enough space to make icing and ice the cupcakes.

I didn't like my chances of getting the cake to my sons in one piece so I'm packing everything up and taking it to his place to put together.  Just as we are about to leave (the man's driving me) the kids arrive home, so I threaten them with death if they touch anything in the kitchen.. unless they plan to clean up the mess..ha ha.

We arrive at my son's and cart everything in and wouldn't you know it there's already people there and I've got icing hanging off my sleeves, icing sugar everywhere, hair tied in a knot, hot and sweaty, looking totally glam.  Oh well.

It takes 3 people to put foil on a board.  Go figure. And then me trying to put this stupid cake together while a monster dog is trying to eat it.. Let's get rid of the dog.  After a couple of setbacks, success,  the cakes done.


The man, of course, is drinking coffee and yacking while I'm standing there tapping my feet...I still have more cooking to do. "  Lets go ".

By now its 4.00 pm.  I need coffee so I'm going to make time to have one.  Bad move.  Drink coffee,  play games on facebook.  Bugger its 5.00 pm and I haven't made the matches or the meringue for the caramel tarts.  Rush job coming.

Cut the pastry for the matches, I'm making them bite size, sort of.  Half the size of the ones I made last week. Same fillings.  Put pastry in oven.  Burn pastry because I'm beating egg whites and not paying attention. Tip pastry into sink and start again.  Let's do one thing at a time.  Finish pastry first.

Ok. its done and cooling.  Pipe meringue onto tarts and cook them.  Lovely.


 Everything going to plan.  Except I'm still looking glam,  probably got more stuff hanging off me, and its 6.20pm and I need to get dressed and leave.  Had to be there 20 minutes ago.

Change of clothes, wash of the  face, throw some moisturiser and blusher on,  spray down the hair (its really curly )bit of conditioner helps it.  Lippy, ready.

Pack the food and kids in the car and leave.

It was a good night, all the family lots of food, a few drinks.  nice.



Finally arrive home and walk into the kitchen, damn, forgot I had to clean up my mess.

You know what?  Bad as it is,( how I get this messy is beyond me), I'm doing it tomorrow because I hear my bed calling, and I'm going to get in it. Night all.


Oh,almost forgot, made some really yummy banana muffins last Sunday.


BANANA MUFFINS WITH CINNAMON CREAM CHEESE ICING.

3/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar packed
1 cup thickened cream
113 grams butter softened
2 eggs
3 very ripe bananas mashed
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon bicarb soda
1/2 teaspoon salt



preheat oven to 180 c

makes approx 21 large muffins

fill muffin trays with large patty pans

with an electric mixer, beat the sugars, butter, eggs and cream together.

add the bananas, cinnamon and vanilla.

add the flour, salt and bicarb soda. mix well.

3/4 fill each patty pan.

bake 15 - 20 mins until nicely brown and a skewer comes out clean.

ICING

125 grams cream cheese softened
60 grams butter softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 1/2 cups icing sugar

with an electric mixer, beat cheese and butter until smooth.

add vanilla and cinnamon.

add icing sugar in 3 batches, beating till smooth.

pipe or spoon on muffins. decorate with banana if desired.



No comments:

Post a Comment